Search This Blog

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Shenandoah 100 2012 preparation

The 2012 Shenandoah 100 is this weekend.  I tested all of the bike configurations yesterday on my ride with Pat.  The machine is ready.
But there are tons of other things to prepare.  Here is the checklist that Pat and I created and are using:
Ultra Race Checklist

Notice the "upload course to Garmin Edge 500".  I did this for my Iron Cross Recon rides.  I would have been horribly lost without it.  So why not use the feature for racing ultras too?  It can show me how much further I have to the finish, my estimated finish time, the profile of the course ahead, and breadcrumbs to show the pathway (and get back on course if you're off course).  The breadcrumbs aren't a map, so at forks in the course it can be difficult to tell which way to go.  It's not perfect, just awesome :)

Steps I used to upload the Shenandoah 100 course to my Garmin:
  1. Find the course on Strava.  Literally I typed "Shenandoah 100 strava" into Google and found Brain P's ride from last year.  I was looking for a better course recording than Danny Atkin's because it looks like Danny's recording from last year was a little off on some of the roads.  This was an indicator to me to look for a more precise recording.
  2. Go to this Strava Export Tool. I pasted the Strava ride URL into the bar and selected TCX.  Click export and expect to wait a while because this is a looooong course.
  3. Download the TCX file from the page that is displayed on completion.
  4. Log-in to Garmin Connect.
  5. Click upload.  And selection Manual upload.  And select the TCX file.
  6. Do the quick edit so that you can name the course whatever you like ("Shenandoah 100").
  7. Make sure your Garmin is plugged into your computer.  And select "upload to device".
  8. Then follow these instructions for loading/riding the course.  Note that you don't have to start where the course starts.  You can "start the course" while you are off course or at a different point on the course and then Garmin will tell you when you have reached the course and will guide you from that point.

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome! I am definitely going to test this bread crumb feature tomorrow and I will probably use it in the race to help me not get lost.

    ReplyDelete