Search This Blog

Sunday, July 22, 2012

A little taste of Dark Hollow in Michaux

My Strava Data
Dan Atkins Strava Data



I didn't have time for the 40 miler at Dark Hollow in Michaux.  Decisions.  Do the 20 miler or ride 20 miles of the 40 miler with Dan Atkins?  Easy choice.  I'm a social rider and wasn't looking for a race this weekend anyways.  Ride with Danny it is.
Now the second decision, where do I meet up with him?  Starting with the rest of the field didn't seem right but on top of that, its unlikely I was going to keep up with Danny.  He blasts me on the MTB and really blasts me on a technical course.  Michaux is THE technical MTB trail haven of this area.  Its raw!
I decided to meet up with him at about mile 8.  That should take the edge off of Dan's wicked pace in the single-track.  Also, I have hope because I only need to survive 20 miles.  It's on!


Also, I wanted to try my new video glasses.  These were a cheap buy at the Gander Mountain store in Chambersburg PA.  $42, and you can return them within 30 days.  Had to give them a try.  As you can see from some of the videos, the audio isn't so hot when moving at any kind of speed.  So interviews aren't really doable.  Also the field of vision is less than your own normal field of vision.  I didn't take that into account.  But for $42 I was pretty happy with the results.

Unfortunately Danny got a flat in the first 90 seconds and had change it while the entire field went on.  This put him behind schedule but we met up and headed off together just after the 8 mile mark.  This was a good section to start together, it was gravel roads to chat and catch up.

Video:  I'm still getting used to clip length and knowing when I am recording :)  Also, i'm terribly awkward, hah ;)


As we approached the first single track area I was getting a little nervous.  Dan is an excellent technical rider.  Could I hang with him after he's been racing for an hour?  It turned out I could and I was super happy :)  I got to learn a lot by following him.



When I attack a technical climb I tend to get tense and really mash through rocky/rooty sections.  Dan is much more efficient.  He relies on balance and consistent power and an occasional tree push-off (solid move!).  So this is how he survives 40 miles :)


Video: I crash on a climb and then use the running skills to keep up with Dan.

Video: Hike a bike!



Video: Aid station 2 party.  Check in on the Race Pace guys:


Video: Some "gorgeous" twisty single track:

Tons of fun!

1 comment: