Search This Blog

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Westside Worlds 07/18/2012

Strava goodness
Unofficially awesome unofficial A ride results

Westside worlds is a chance to remember that I just freaking love biking.  Some times the opportunity to ride hard can be a chore.  WsW says, "Chores are for school boys, lets ride!"
Storms loomed on the horizon in all directions so we had a small group at the start.  Sug, Pat, Shiny Jay, Coop, Dan skinny Miranda, and Tom Schreck didn't get scared away.  Its an all AFC affair today for this unofficial fun-ness.
The pace was honest throughout.  Not gritty, but strong.  I felt decent after a solid 2xrip duathlon this past weekend.  Shweetness.  So I tried to help on the pace.
Going into Race Rd. the rotation kept up almost all the way to the sprint.  AFC guys like to share in the pain.  I caught Sug's wheel and was going pretty deep to hold.  "Should I try to go by?"  I decided to hold the wheel and enjoy a second place.  Snakey Coop had other plans and rocketed by me close to the line.  I needed that.  I was being a panzy and didn't fight around Sug and payed for it.  The effort was good for 3rd so I wasn't crying or anything.
Lawyers and Landing went by without event.
Going down Beechwood THE Jay Lins made his signature fast descent.  He opened a gap up on Sug, Pat, and I.  "Could I catch him on Illy?"  I thought I could but it was going to take some work.
Ilchester time!  Adam and Pat scooted along quickly and caught Jay on the turn into the second hill.  I'm going to guess they let him know that he should keep pressing cause I'm a little ways back.  "Stay cool Lancer", I thought.  "Lancer?".  "Ya, Lancer".  Cool name.
I caught Jay on the second hill section.  He gave me some encouragement that signaled that he had played his card.  I kept pressing and ended up third.
College, New Cut, Hillsborough, was more fun pressing.
Bonnie didn't go crazy.  More strong pulls.  No wild moves.  I wanted the win pretty badly.  Sug was pulling as we entered the sprint zone and I got up next to him.  Pat and Jay Lins were right there.  I decided to get a little wild and long sprint it.  The cranks whirred.  The gap opened, except on Sug.  I knew I was in trouble as we flew past the West's who were cheering us on.  Suggy gonna hurt me.  He won.  Still no complaints here.  And according to Strava I achieved a new max heart rate of 189 (up from 188 on Bonnie previously).  Good for me! ;)
The West's offered beer.  The boring training guy in me said "Hell no!  Beer during WsW?  Ur and idiot."  Mmmmmm, IPA!  Thx West family.  You guys are the best.
More fun times to get to Westchester.  I decided I wanted to get through it ASAP so I just pulled the group into it (lightly) and started my feable attack from the beginning.  Sug and Pat covered it easily and went on their merry way.  Jay Lins caught me and nearly opened a gap but a little life returned to me towards the top and I accelarated to 3rd.
The stoms never came.  The only thing they did was cool the evening off.  Jackpot!
Loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment